The Monthly Roar

The Student News Site of Maryvale Preparatory School

The Monthly Roar

The Monthly Roar

The End of an Era

Reflecting on my time at Maryvale

From the shy freshman who started high school on Zoom to the confident senior who will be graduating in 15 days, I have grown so much over my four years at Maryvale. The end of an era is officially near and I have mixed feelings. Although I am excited about this new journey and what lies ahead, I am sad about leaving the place I have called my second home for the last four years. I knew since my shadow day that Maryvale was the place for me. When I shadowed, I immediately fell in love with the campus and the tight-knit community. After my shadow day, I remember telling my parents that Maryvale was the right place for me. Looking back, I am glad that I chose Maryvale because I wouldn’t be the person I am today without the knowledge and skills I gained during my time at Maryvale

I have learned a lot during my four years at Maryvale; not just academically, but also about leadership in myself. I got out of my comfort zone and became confident in myself and who I was as a person. I learned the value of leadership and teamwork and the importance of the Maryvale way. I credit this to the wonderful teachers I’ve had especially my advisor, Mr. Riding. Always there when I needed to talk or relax, Mr. Riding made his advisory a safe space to talk and relieve the stress of the school day. I enjoyed going to advisory each day and will certainly miss it most. Maryvale taught me to be confident in myself as a young woman and to stand up for what I believe in. Maryvale is truly a special place that I will always cherish and remember. To the new freshmen coming to Maryvale in the fall, I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your time at Maryvale.

To the incoming freshmen, I have some advice that I have acquired over the past four years at Maryvale. First, is to come in with an open mind. Freshmen year at a new school can be hard, so coming in with an open mind is great for making friends and connecting with your teachers. Next, is to get involved in any way possible. Joining a club, sports team, or special program like the leadership program is a great way to put yourself out there and find your passions. Also, staying on top of your assignments is important as the workload increases in high school. And lastly, just have fun. While high school is stressful, there are many fun events to look forward to such as homecoming, spirit week, ring day and dance, gym meet, prom, etc. Ring Day and the dance were my favorites!

As I close out my reflection, I want to thank Maryvale and all the amazing teachers I had for making my high school experience unforgettable. I will always remember Maryvale and will be sure to come and visit again!