The Monthly Roar

The Student News Site of Maryvale Preparatory School

The Monthly Roar

The Monthly Roar

Mindfulness Meditation and Reflection

One of the most effective Mindfulness activities involves focusing on the emotion of awe, and wonder. It helps to shift our attention from the negative cycles of our mind that pull us down, to a more positive frame of mind. The ability of Nature to inspire awe and wonder are one of the big factors that contribute to its healing effects on our mind. After a nature session, brain scans showed a sizable reduction of blood flow to the subgenual prefrontal cortex region. It is a region linked to sadness, withdrawal and general grumpiness.

Take a minute and think about the following. You can even write it down if that is helpful for you.

• One thing that makes you smile.
  • One thing that brings you calm.
  • One that fills you with hope.
  • One thing that makes you curious.
  • One thing that fills you with awe.
  • One thing that you are thankful for in nature.

Reflect on the following quote:

“What happens when we experience wonder?” By Katie Steedly

People get along. When people are struck with wonder, they generally are not yelling, arguing, fighting, or angry. Wonder brings people together. We all agree that flowers are wonderful. We all agree that ducklings are wonderful. We all agree that coral reefs are wonderful. Butterflies? Wonderful. Chocolate? Wonderful. Sunsets? Wonderful. Wonder provides a moment where we can hold hands, (perhaps) tear up, and find common ground. The noise of life fades. A silence akin to speechlessness falls when we experience wonder. A gentle hush that is beyond words eases tension. Reflection paints wonderful moments with reverence. Wonder is calm in the chaos of the world. 

Watch the video about Gratitude and note what catches your attention (start at 2:02).