The Monthly Roar

The Student News Site of Maryvale Preparatory School

The Monthly Roar

The Monthly Roar

Hispanic Heritage Recap

Hispanic Heritage Recap

Hello Everyone! My name is Sierra, and I’m one of the leaders of Sabor Latina. Hispanic Heritage month (September 15 to October 15) just passed and I wanted to give you a recap of this year’s Hispanic Heritage month here at Maryvale and in the world. As you might have noticed Ms. Randisi did daily facts during announcements for the first that gave us great facts about many important hispanic figures and facts. Outside of that we also celebrated Hispanic Heritage month as a whole during community Homeroom. We not only watched fun videos and had every country’s flag represented but we also had an incredible speech from Miranda Marin-Jarve ‘27 about her own personal identity, and here is just a part of her speech: 

“Se, Tu, Propia, Persona.” Be your own person. This is something you should apply everywhere. Everything you do and are, builds your identity. Keep doing what you are doing, because that builds your identity too. People accept people, trust me, I know. You just have to be confident and not let your identity slip away.” 

To read the full speach visit “Our Student Spotlight” section. 

We are all so proud of you! Sabor Latina as a club also did a lot to celebrate Hispanic Heritage month and we even started planning for more events during the year. We hope to celebrate Hispanic and Latino culture all year long and start new traditions here at Maryvale. During Hispanic Heritage month we had the opportunity to collaborate with the International food club and brought in dishes, desserts and drinks from multiple countries like México, Brazil and Spain. Another thing to come this year is the trip to Guatemala which is an amazing opportunity for anyone interested and taking a Spanish class, please reach out to Sra. Martinez for more information! We can’t wait for you too see what other fun things we have planned for the rest of the year and especially the holidays. For example El dia de los muertos, Navidad and even El dia de los tres reyes magos. With El dia de los muertos coming up I wanted to share a recipe of a popular dish that is eaten to celebrate this holiday. El dia de los muertos is a holiday most popular in México that celebrates the loss of loved ones in our lives, remembering that they are always with us. It’s typical to eat a bread called Pan de muerto which is a delicious sweet bread usually eaten with hot chocolate, champurrado or even Coffee. Here is a great recipe if your interested in making or trying it: 

https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/pan-de-muerto-mexican-bread-of-dead/

Outside of Maryvale, Hispanic Heritage month was celebrated in numerous ways. There were annual parades and celebrations in major cities across the country like New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. During Hispanic Heritage month a number of countries also celebrated their independence days. On September 15 Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua all celebrated their independence days. September 16 is the independence day of México, September 18th is Chile’s and lastly September 21 is the independence day of Belize. This year we also had a special thing to celebrate that fell during Hispanic Heritage month, Bad Bunny’s new Album. The Album is called “Nadie Sabe Lo Que Va a Pasar Maňana” and it came out on Friday October 13th. For me and many others this album was the greatest way to wrap up Hispanic Heritage month.