The Monthly Roar

The Student News Site of Maryvale Preparatory School

The Monthly Roar

The Monthly Roar

Maryvale’s 2nd Annual Flag Football Game

Live action from the flag football game. (Kyndal Foster)

Spirits were high as Maryvale’s juniors and seniors took the turf field to play the long-anticipated flag football game. As an all-girls school, Maryvale students hadn’t experienced a formal homecoming game until 2022 when the flag football game was implemented. With the excitement for homecoming already boiling over by the Wednesday before, students take the flag football game very seriously. The senior student section could be seen practicing their chant, “I Believe That We Can Win”, while the juniors were waiting to take on their elder schoolmates. The school spirit of the students was incomparable and anyone observing the sights and sounds of the game would be amazed.

When the clock started, the seniors immediately came out firing on all cylinders attempting to avenge themselves after losing the previous year as juniors. Eventually with both teams scoring reaching the endzone once, the final score was 1-1. While onlookers may have thought that the seniors would have been upset about tying the game, the sisterhood of the two classes shined through as both rosters celebrated with each other. The event had proved to be the perfect build-up to Friday’s annual homecoming.