The Monthly Roar

The Student News Site of Maryvale Preparatory School

The Monthly Roar

The Monthly Roar

Uncategorized
The Best Gingerbread Cookies
Libby Swift December 7, 2023
Uncategorized
Our Student Spotlight
Miranda Marin-Jarve October 30, 2023
Hispanic Heritage Recap
Features
Hispanic Heritage Recap
Sierra Green October 30, 2023
Maryvales 2nd Annual Flag Football Game
Features
Maryvale's 2nd Annual Flag Football Game
Kyndal Foster October 30, 2023
Halloween Poem
The Zine
Halloween Poem
Madelyn Grayson, Contributing writer • October 30, 2023

8 ways to Give and Receive Grace from God and Others

1. Practice Forgiveness: Forgiveness is a powerful way to give grace, even to those we feel don’t deserve it. Forgiving others connects with God’s forgiveness for us. This link between forgiveness and grace can transform lives. But, forgiveness can be tough. When others hurt us deeply, it leaves lasting scars. However, when we choose to extend grace by letting go and forgiving, we experience liberation and freedom. We release the weight of resentment, guilt, and shame, allowing us to move forward with joy and peace. Sometimes it takes time to forgive. It’s a transformative journey that requires strength, perseverance, and reliance on God. Through forgiveness, we not only free others from their mistakes but also ourselves, becoming who God intended us to be. Be quick to apologize when you make a misstep or have wronged someone else. Whenever you make mistakes that have hurt other people, apologize to them. Whenever others hurt you through their mistakes, forgive them. Rely on God to help you do so. Make this a daily practice, so grudges and bitterness won’t have time to take root in your soul. Sometimes the hardest person to forgive is yourself. Looking at your actions, words, or best intentions and facing that you messed up is NOT fun. But you know what the beautiful thing is? You can forgive yourself because God has already forgiven you completely! Don’t carry unnecessary guilt and shame in your life when forgiveness has already been extended to you. When you take the brave step to forgive yourself, you invite God’s grace to cover all your sins, mistakes, and shame.
  2. Use Compassionate Words: Our words have a profound impact on others. We must learn to give grace through our speech, even in tough situations. What we say can uplift and inspire, or wound and discourage. People remember how our words make them feel. When faced with hurtful actions, our natural response may be retaliation. But God calls us to respond differently—with love and kindness, even when it’s hard. Our ability to extend grace through words can profoundly impact those around us. You might be the only “Bible” someone reads, showing them God’s love and grace. Let’s use our speech to encourage, uplift, and empower others. By giving grace through our words, we spread God’s love and create positivity in others’ lives. Be kind and gentle in what you say and how you say it. Be careful how you express yourself. Words are powerful, and they can either help or harm people. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you as you speak and write words every day. Pray for your words to reflect the reality of God’s gracious love at work in your life. Use your words to spread that love to others. Look for opportunities to send caring, kind, and encouraging messages whenever you can. If a  toddler accidentally broke something, how would you react? Would you scream and shout and berate them? NO! You would wipe their tears and speak gently to them. So why do we berate and belittle ourselves when we forget a deadline, miss a call from a friend, or have to change plans? The way we talk to ourselves in moments where grace is needed matters.  Like that toddler may be admonished to be more careful or have consequences if they disobeyed, sometimes we have to hear critiques and criticism from other people. But you can still speak gently to yourself, resting securely that even in growth moments, God still has grace for you. When speaking with people you should use words that are kind and gentle. Obviously there are times we need to correct other people, but it never has to be done in a hateful or mean-spirited way. Find a way to gently say what needs to be said.
  3. Like They Say in “Frozen,” Let It Go (and/or Respond with Grace): Letting go is a transformative act of grace, allowing us to extend compassion to others, even in challenging circumstances. In our journey of giving grace, forgiveness is crucial as stated above, but so is letting go. Many of us hold onto past hurts, grievances, and negative experiences. We need to release and let go as an act of grace. Letting go means not taking everything personally and understanding that people have unique perspectives. Sometimes people are going to be rude. Instead of responding harshly, keep a calm spirit; everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt sometimes and we do not want to judge people at their worst moment.  Releasing negative thoughts can bring relief and improved connection. Letting go may be painful, but clinging to negativity is worse. By embracing release, we create space for healing, growth, and meaningful connections. It’s not weakness but a testament to our willingness to extend love, forgiveness, and compassion. Giving grace requires letting go, allowing grace to flourish. Letting go fosters an environment where grace can thrive, leading to healing and reconciliation. Through the power of release, we can genuinely give grace, fostering harmony and transformative healing. You don’t have to let others walk over you, but you can respond in a gracious way. Accept what they have to say and thank them for their input. The news they bring you may upset you and hurt you deeply. The way you respond can help the healing begin immediately. A quick response with anger will leave you seething. But the sooner you can respond with a smile and a calm spirit the sooner you will be able to see the truth in their words and make the changes that need to be made.
  4. Look for Needs & Opportunities: Simple everyday acts of kindness and actions help in great ways. Learn about other people, ask questions, listen and care. Many acts of kindness are also expressions of grace and mercy. There are so many simple yet profound possibilities, including smiling at people, doing volunteer work in your community, offering to take care of children or pets, sending someone flowers, and cooking a meal for someone. Give without expectations.
  5. Be Present: Sometimes truly being there with someone is all that’s needed to show them they are loved. Be happy with the person who’s happy. Be sad with the person who is sad. In a world where there’s much more talking than listening, it’s a gracious and merciful gift to truly listen to others. Show respect and care for other people by listening to their stories attentively. Seek to learn from those stories and build caring connections with people.
  6. Have an Attitude of Gratitude: Say thank you often and let people know how much you appreciate them. By expressing gratitude regularly, you can train your mind to notice and appreciate your blessings, which grace and mercy have made possible. Make a habit of thanking God for the blessings constantly being poured into your life. Thank other people for what they say and do that helps and encourages you. Let them know that their caring choices have blessed you and that you appreciate them. It doesn’t cost anything, but it can show other people gratitude and grace. Write a simple card expressing your appreciation for a kind act on your behalf.
  7. Be Honest with God: In order for you to give yourself grace, you need to acknowledge that you have made a mistake, your plans have gone awry, or you reacted poorly. When you try to cover up or make excuses instead of just being honest, you take away God’s opportunity to meet you in that moment with grace. We need grace, especially in the moments when we have failed or can’t control a situation. Even when it’s difficult, be honest and talk with God. Even if you do not talk to God regularly, God already knows what is going on and wants to support you.
  8. Surround Yourself with Gracious People: You don’t have control over everyone in your life, but you can make a point to surround yourself with gracious people for those relationships you can choose. Do you have friends who are understanding when something comes up? Are there mentors in your life you can talk to about your mistakes? Is your significant other quick to forgive and give you grace? It’s hard to cultivate a life of grace if you aren’t being given grace! Be intentional about finding people who are gracious with themselves and others. So often, God’s grace is shown through people in our lives!