The Monthly Roar

The Student News Site of Maryvale Preparatory School

The Monthly Roar

The Monthly Roar

Chaos in the Middle East

Students and faculty placed white flags in the Mary Circle for prayers of peace in the Middle East.

On October 7, 2023, Hamas, a militant group, ambushed Israel’s border. Using rocket strikes and military force, Hamas invaded communities in Israel. Along with the thousands of casualties from both sides, Hamas has captured 222 hostages. This violent attack led the Israeli government to declare war on Hamas.

Israel has not held back against Hamas. Since the war began, Israel has sent hundreds of missiles to Gaza. Their strong military force has been able to fight back against the Hamas. However, Hamas has caused much in the region. With their land and air raids causing many injuries and deaths, Hamas has caused the highest number of Jewish deaths since the Holocaust.

Along with many causalities, Hamas has captured 222 hostages, with around 20 being American. As of October 24, 2023, four hostages have been released. With ongoing negotiations to release hostages, Israel and the United States want their people to return home safely.

This constant violence has hurt both Israeli and Palestinian communities. Israel has cut off Gaza’s electricity and water, leading to massive food, fuel, and medicine shortages. Many homes have also been destroyed, leaving civilians without shelter and basic needs. Citizens from both sides are now facing a humanitarian crisis.

In response to the Israel-Palestinian war, Maryvale came together to pray for peace in the Middle East. Students and faculty placed white flags in the Mary Circle, symbolizing prayers of peace for both sides. Especially during these difficult times, Maryvale should unite to demonstrate our collective hope for a diplomatic resolution.