The Monthly Roar

The Student News Site of Maryvale Preparatory School

The Monthly Roar

The Monthly Roar

The Buzz About “Men on Boats”

An Interview with Maddie Arnold

Much of Maryvale has been buzzing over this year’s fall production, “Men on Boats.” Everyone in the Upper School has heard something about the play whether it be auditions, rehearsals, the cast, memorizing lines, or the community’s bursting excitement around it. Maddie Arnold, a freshman and member of the play, answered a few questions and her thoughts on “Men on Boats.” The Upper School production is about the adventures between a group of men in the Powell Expedition in 1869. The cast is composed of Powell, Dunn, and Sumner (along with others like Henry who Maddie plays), the men on the Emma Dean boat. When asked about her thoughts on the play, plot, and process of creating this story, Maddie Arnold says, “I think that the play is a great one because the author intended for this play about men to be performed by girls, so I believe that Maryvale is the perfect school to put on this play. I have enjoyed making this play because it has been fun to see how the play progresses on and on, and also to see all the cast and crew members’ perspectives on how the play should be performed. The story of this play is a great one because it has many riveting plot twists and will keep the audience very intrigued throughout the performance.” Furthermore, Maddie believes that the Maryvale audience will love “Men on Boats” as well, “I think that Maryvale and the audience will receive the play as somewhat funny, since it does have a comedic tone to it. Overall, the actresses performing Men on Boats are amazing and will definitely make this show an awesome one.” Clearly, the cast, crew, and anyone involved has to put everything into this fall’s high school drama production to make it entertaining and thoughtful!

Tickets are on sale now and as low as $5! Visit: www.maryvale.com/performingarts  to get your tickets today.